Thursday, February 4, 2010

Focaccia Bread

I am really enjoying making (and eating) homemade bread. So, when I saw a recipe for Focaccia Bread, I knew I had to make it! After searching for recipes, I changed one up a bit (I know,I know...I can't leave anything alone!) and gave it a try. The bread was very easy to make and quite tasty! I sent some leftovers to work with Tony and his taste testers gave it two thumbs up! This will definitely go in my book! This is a great addition to a homemade Italian meal!!
After committing to make this recipe, however, I found another recipe that claims to be "authentic" focaccia. The process from start to finish takes 2 days, so you'll see this probably in a week or two!

Ingredients

2 3/4 all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp white sugar
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 pinch ground black pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese


In a large bowl, add 1 cup warm water (110 degrees). Sprinkle in the 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes until it becomes bubbly. This is called proofing and lets you know that your yeast is good before going through the rest of the steps. Some say that you can skip this step, but it makes me feel better to do it and it doesn't take much time.

Add the salt and 1 tbsp vegetable oil and then the flour and seasonings. Mix together (I used my Kitchenaid mixer). When the dough comes together, turn it onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Punch dough down and place on baking sheet. Pat into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Brush top with olive oil and sprinkle with cheeses.


Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm. You can serve with olive oil for dipping if you like. Enjoy!


2 comments:

SugarEd Productions said...

you go girl! You are a cooking machine, it looks great!

Mata Family said...

lol. Thanks. I needed something to do in my spare time! ;-) Actually I spent most of January cleaning and reorganizing the house so I told myself I could do something more fun in February!