Monday, February 15, 2010

Restaurant Style Salsa

I LOVE Mexican food- well it's technically "Tex Mex", but I love it all the same. I could seriously eat some form of Mexican food every day! That was really the only thing I craved when I was pregnant. However, I'm not sure it could really be classified as a pregnancy craving as I crave it all the time anyway! :-)

A good start to any Mexican meal is the chips and salsa! I love a good salsa and was almost giddy when I saw this recipe for "Restaurant Style Salsa". I knew that I had to give this one a try in my quest for a good salsa. I figure the upside to finding a good recipe is that I get to try a lot of chips and salsa and that's all good!

I am not a huge fan of cilantro and my husband has a strong dislike for the stuff (related to his days in the produce dept in college). So, I was a little concerned that the amount of cilantro was going to be overwhelming,. But to my surprise it gave it a good flavor and wasn't too much. You can however adjust the seasonings to your taste. I love spicy foods so I left the seeds in the peppers to up the heat a little. It definitely gives it a little kick- although I will probably add more peppers next time. I also debated on whether to drain the Rotel, but decided against it in the end. The only thing I will do differently next time is to divide the salsa in 2 batches and leave one batch a little chunkier.

Ingredients

1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes with juice
2 cans (10 oz) Rotel
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 whole jalapeno, quartered and thinly sliced
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup cilantro (more or less to taste)
1/2 whole lime juice


Directions

Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the desired consistency. Adjust seasonings to your taste. Refrigerate for at least one hour. Serve with chips.


Grab some chips and dig in! Enjoy!

No comments: