My husband was in the mood for some Italian food and this recipe for Baked Ziti seemed to fit the bill. This was a very easy dish to put together and can easily be adapted to your tastes. Served with some good bread and a veggie this makes a tasty meal! This dish also freezes well and any leftovers are just as tasty!
1 16oz box Ziti pasta
1 jar spaghetti sauce or 16oz homemade sauce
1/2 lb ground turkey (or ground beef)
1/2 lb turkey sausage (or pork sausage)
salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes- to taste
12 oz ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 slices Mozzarella cheese (or Provolone cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 inch pan.
2. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta al dente (according to package); drain.
3. Brown sausage and turkey in a skillet with your desired seasonings. Drain. Add the spaghetti sauce and simmer.
4. To assemble dish, place enough sauce on the bottom to cover. Layer in this order: 1/2 of the cooked noodles, all of the ricotta, 4 slices of Mozzarella (or Provolone), 1/2 of the sauce, remaining noodles, half of the Mozzarella and Parmesan, remaining sauce, remaining cheeses. (Make sure that the pasta is completely covered in sauce and cheese to avoid hard pasta after cooking).
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes to cool before servings.