Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chicken Taco Soup

This Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup is a recipe I have seen posted on various forums and have always wanted to give it a try. Since we are in Spring heading straight to Summer and 100 degree weather, we don't eat soups quite as much. But, a few weekends ago we had a little cool and rainy weather come through. So, I thought it was the perfect time for some yummy soup. I am so glad that I finally tried this soup- it is now one of my favorites! This soup was hearty and full of flavor and was even better as leftovers! My husband likes soup, but not quite as much as I do...but he did have seconds...or was it thirds?? This soup will definitely be made again and again!

**I wrote the original instructions below, but I changed it slightly. I checked the chicken after 4 hours and it was done. I removed the chicken and shredded it and put it in the fridge while the soup cooked another 2 hours. I stirred the chicken back into the soup and put the slow cooker on warm for about 30 minutes before serving. I'm not sure if it was the chicken I used or if my slow cooker maybe cooks faster. But I hate dry chicken, so I opted to do it this way.**




Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 oz) can chili beans (I used hot)
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans (or black beans)
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can chicken broth (or can of beer)
2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 package taco seasoning mix
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
crushed tortilla chips

Directions
1. Place the onion, beans, corn, tomato sauce, chicken broth and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning, and stir to blend. Place chicken breasts on top and press down to cover. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours.
2. Remove chicken breasts and shred chicken with 2 forks. Return chicken to soup and cook 2 hours. Serve topped with cheese, sour cream and chips, if desired.
Just posting this makes me want another bowl!!
Enjoy!

No comments: