I have mentioned before that my husband loves lasagna, so I wanted to try a twist on the original version. After scouring many, many recipes, I came up with this Chicken and Vegetable Lasagna. He was a little skeptical at first since it wasn't "normal" lasagna, but he definitely liked it and had several servings! The kids even liked this one!! This recipe is a keeper!
Ingredients (makes 8 servings)
12 lasagna noodles (regular or oven ready)
6 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp dried basil (divide into 2)
1/2 tsp dried oregano (divide into 2)
1/4 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp unsalted butter
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in bite size pieces
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups shredded carrots
2 cups frozen spinach, chopped (do not thaw)
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. **Omit this step if you are using oven ready lasagna** Place lasagna noodles in a 9x13 inch pan. Fill pan with hot water and a splash of olive oil. Let noodles soak while you prepare the filling.
3. In a large saucepan, combine chicken broth, flour, thyme and 1/4 tsp oregano and 1/4 tsp basil. Whisk together and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium low and let sauce thicken while you prepare remaining ingredients.
4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium- high heat. Add cubed chicken, 1/4 tsp oregano and 1/4 tsp basil, salt and pepper. Saute chicken until cooked through (about 5 minutes). Remove chicken to a paper towel lined plate. Add the butter to the skillet to melt. Add chopped onions, garlic and carrots. Cook and stir until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the chopped tomatoes and frozen spinach and cook until heated through. Return chicken to skillet and combine with vegetables.
5. Spread some of the thickened sauce in the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with a layer of noodles. Add 1/3 of the chicken and vegetable mixture and top with 1/3 of the sauce (about 2 cups) and 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat this layering twice ending with mozzarella cheese. Top with the Paremesan cheese.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is golden brown. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.