Monday, January 3, 2011

Chicken Nachos

If you know me, you know I'll take any excuse for making Mexican food (or rather Tex-Mex). For New Years Eve, we had Tamales, Chicken Nachos and plenty of chips and dips! These nachos are so easy and not really one you need a true recipe for, but I thought I would share how I made them. I have listed the ingredients below, but the amounts will depend on how much you want to make. I made a large dinner sized plate full of nachos and it was just the right amount for this meal. You can easily customize this and make smaller plates depending on what people like on their nachos.


Ingredients

Boneless skinless chicken breast (I used 1)
Refried beans (I used about 1/2 cup)
Salsa
chopped pickled jalapenos (or fresh)
shredded cheddar cheese
tortilla chips
taco seasoning
black olives
sour cream
guacamole

Boil the chicken breast in a pot of water until done (around 20 min). Remove from pan and shred with two forks. Place shredded chicken in skillet and add 2 tbsp water and 1 tbsp taco seasoning. Cook over medium-low heat until water is absorbed.

Heat refried beans over low heat. Add 2 tbsp (or more) salsa to the refried beans. This gives it a good flavor and also thins it out enough to be able to spread easily.

Spread tortilla chips evenly on an oven proof plate or baking sheet. Spread refried beans over tortilla chips. Top with shredded chicken. Top this with sliced black olives (if desired), sliced jalapenos and shredded cheese. Place this in the oven under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Topping suggestions are: pico de gallo, tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole, salsa. Customize it however you like and ENJOY!

No comments: