Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cinnamon Applesauce

Sometimes I like to do some things the hard way! Well, I wouldn't exactly call making homemade applesauce "hard"- but it's definitely not as convenient as just buying it at the store! But since I love cooking and knowing exactly what is in the foods I am feeding my family, it just seemed natural to make applesauce. And the kids LOVED it! I doubt there will be anymore store bought applesauce here (so good thing it is easy :-) )!

I think the key to good applesauce is in the type of apple you use. You want to choose apples that are naturally more sweet so that you do not have to use a lot of additional sugar. Naturally sweet apples are Red Delicious, Gala, Fuji, and McIntosh. I like to use a combination of apples rather than just one type. I used Gala and Fuji this time around- but you can change it up however you like. You can start with a few tbsp. of sugar and add more as they cook if needed. This is a very easy and versatile recipe and a great way to use up some yummy apples!


Ingredients (makes 4 servings
4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar (or start with less and adjust after cooking)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Directions
In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar and cinnamon.

Cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes until apples are soft.


Allow apples to cool and then mash with potato masher to desired consistency. Serve immediately and refrigerate leftovers.

ENJOY!

No comments: