Thursday, February 3, 2011

Classic Tomato Sauce

It just seems wrong to use jarred pizza sauce on a homemade pizza crust! So, I went to the pantry to see what I could come up with. The outcome? A REALLY tasty tomato sauce that could be used on anything from pizza to pasta. My husband and I love spicy foods, but the kids do not. So, I only added red pepper flakes to one half of the recipe and left the other half plain for the kids. This is such a simple sauce that there is no need for the jarred kind (with all those preservatives)!




Ingredients

3 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
1/2 tsp salt
28 oz can crushed tomatoes

Directions


In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the minced garlic, red pepper flakes and salt. Stir and saute for 45 seconds (do not brown the garlic). Stir in the tomatoes. Heat the sauce over a low simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and use as desired.


I initially used the sauce for our pizza, but thought it would taste great tossed with some pasta and a little cheese...and I was right! :-)


ENJOY!

No comments: