Saturday, February 27, 2010

Buttermilk Biscuits

As I was browsing a site yesterday, I came across a picture of biscuits that made my mouth water! So, this morning I set out to make some Buttermilk Biscuits. This recipe is from the Better Homes & Garden New Baking Book.

The recipe as written called for 1/2 cup shortening, but I substituted unsalted butter. I also cut the temperature down from 450 degrees because I thought mine browned a little quick. I have learned over the past few months that the key to getting "layers" in your biscuit is in the folding of the dough. Their recipe didn't mention this, but I folded and rolled the dough 3 times before cutting the biscuits. It provided a tall, layered biscuit with a soft and buttery texture- perfect!




Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 ts salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cold butter (or 1/2 cup shortening)
2/3 cup cold buttermilk

Directions
In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter or shortening until the mixture resembles crumbs.


Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk all at once. Stir with a fork just until moistened.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Quickly knead dough by folding and gently pressing 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Roll dough out to 3/4 inch then fold in half. Repeat this 3 times.

Cut dough with round cutter (2.5"). Place 1" apart on an ungreased baking sheet.


Bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

I made one batch with a 1 1/2 inch cutter and one batch with the 2 1/2 inch cutter. The smaller ones were perfect for the kids who gobbled them up! The bigger ones worked well for our breakfast. I thought that these were a little better for my husband's post run breakfast than last weeks huge cinnamon rolls! These were VERY yummy!!
Enjoy!

No comments: