Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chicken Burritos

On my search for chicken enchiladas, I came across this recipe on Allrecipes.com. Now, I realize that they call it enchiladas, but in my mind, enchiladas are made with corn tortillas and burritos are made with flour. So, I'm going to call this a burrito dish to make myself feel better! I made some changes to the recipe as written below.

My husband and I both thought that the chicken filling had a good flavor. I wasn't crazy about the soup mixture for the topping and would change that to a homemade cheese sauce. Some reviewers thought this was spicy, but we didn't think it was spicy at all. I would kick up the spice factor with Rotel added to the chicken filling or maybe even some jalapenos on top. With a few changes, I think we would like this one more!



Ingredients
1 (10.75 oz) can cheese soup
small can of chile verde sauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp margarine
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp chili powder
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers, drained
8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix soup, sour cream and chile verde and set aside.
3. Melt margarine in medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and chili powder, and saute until tender. Stir in the chicken, chile peppers and 2 tbsp of the soup mixture. Cook and stir until heated through.
4. Spread 1/2 cup of the soup mixture in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spoon 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla (can also top with a little cheddar cheese). Roll up tortillas, and place, seam- side down, in the baking dish. Spoon remaining soup mixture on top, and sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.


Enjoy!

No comments: