Saturday, March 20, 2010

Microwave Potato Chips

As I was flipping through some recipes to add to my "to try" list, I came across one that intrigued me. I can't even remember how I stumbled across it, but I found a recipe for microwaved Potato Chips. The only ingredients are vegetable oil, potatoes and salt. I read many reviews that raved about these chips which intrigued me even more. I mentioned them to my husband who balked "I'll stick to the store ones". I have to admit that I was skeptical as well- how could the microwave make tasty potato chips? Well, I knew that I had to give them a shot and see what it was all about.

I decided to make them in the afternoon before he came home from work and I would spring some on him before he realized what they were! The only problem with my plan was that he was late that day and I ate the small batch I made! I quickly made another batch for his taste test. It had been long enough that he forgot about the recipe. He liked them and was a little impressed considering they came from the microwave. I have to say that they were addictive so next time I will have to make a few batches to start with. I liked knowing that the ingredient list was very simple- no preservatives or other stuff! It would make a quick snack when you want something salty/crunchy!


Ingredients

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 potato, sliced paper thin (peel optional)
salt to taste

Directions
1. Pour the vegetable oil into a plastic bag. Add the potato sliced and shake to coat.
2. Coat a large microwavable plate with cooking spray. Arrange potato slices in a single layer on the dish.



3. Cook in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly browned (the browning will cause them to get crispy). You will have to watch them closely to figure out the best time for your microwave. In my experience, the ones in the center of the plate browned faster so you need to keep and eye on them. Remove chips from plate and season with salt (or other seasoning). Let cool. Repeat process with remaining potatoes. You should not have to keep oiling the plate between batches. To make the process a little faster, I would use 2 or 3 plates and microwave them one after the other.




Enjoy!

No comments: