Saturday, March 20, 2010

Texas Sheet Cake

Can you believe that I have lived my entire life in Texas and have never made a "Texas Sheet Cake"? I'm not even sure that I have tasted very many. I looked at quite a few recipes and read many reviews and decided on this recipe.

Ingredients

2 cups all purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup sour cream

2 eggs

1 cup butter

1 cup water

5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

6 tbsp milk

5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 cup butter

4 cups powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.

Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Beat in the sour cream and eggs. Set aside. Melt the butter on low heat in a saucepan, add the water and 5 tbsp cocoa. Bring mixture to a boil and remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly, then stir cocoa mixture into the dry ingredients, mixing until blended.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

For the icing: In a large saucepan, combine the milk, 5 tbsp cocoa and 1/2 cup butter. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla, then fold in nuts, mixing until blended. Spread frosting over warm cake.

** My cake ended up needing to bake about 15 minutes longer than suggested. Also, make sure to start the icing about 10 minutes before the cake should be done to keep the right consistency.

The icing was to die for and I may or may not have licked the spoon clean (after I was done icing the cake, of course)! This was very rich and the texture was something between a brownie and fudge. In all honesty, I wasn't really sure what Texas Sheet Cake is "supposed" to be like, so I can't say if this is "the best" recipe or not. I think I will have to just suffer through a few more recipes to make a more informed decision! Stay tuned!




I apologize for falling behind in my postings! All I can say is that sometimes life gets in the way! I have lots of recipes and posts to get caught up on soon!

Happy cooking!

No comments: