Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cheesy Turkey Meatloaf

Meatloaf is one of those dishes that I remember from my childhood, yet I haven't had it in years since we don't eat beef. I happened upon a recipe for Cheesy Turkey Meatloaf and gave it a shot. I will admit that this isn't a "healthy" version by any means, but it does fill that occasional craving for meatloaf. I usually end up freezing half of this recipe for another night so I don't have to cook!



Ingredients
2 pounds ground turkey (93/7)
1 cup milk (I use 2%)
1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 pound Colby or Cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup ketchup (I use BBQ sauce)


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. In a bowl, mix the turkey, milk, bread crumbs and eggs by hand. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the cheese cubes into the mixture. Transfer to a loaf pan and top with ketchup (or BBQ sauce). Place the loaf pan in a 9x13 inch pan to catch any drippings.

3. Bake 1 hour in a preheated oven, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees. (I check with a thermometer and generally have to bake it about another 15-20 minutes)

No comments: