Friday, January 21, 2011

Candied Sweet Potatoes

Candied sweet potatoes are one of those dishes I really only think of around the holidays. I'm not sure why though because I really do like sweet potatoes. Oh yeah- just remembered that I'm the only one that likes them in this house! Well, my daughter would probably like them too, so I'll have to search out some more recipes for us girls!

This is a super simple recipe that can be made with fresh sweet potatoes (as shown below) or a large (18oz) can of sweet potatoes.

Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
3 medium sweet potatoes (around a pound) OR one 18 oz can sweet potatoes, drained
3 tbsp brown sugar (I use light)
1 tbsp unsalted butter

Directions
1. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.



Put potatoes in pan and cover with water. Boil potatoes for 25-35 minutes until tender. Drain; cool slightly. If using canned sweet potatoes, drain and cut into smaller pieces.



2. In a casserole dish, layer half of the potatoes, half of the brown sugar and half of the butter. Repeat layers. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes or until glazed. You can spoon liquid over potatoes a couple of times during cooking. I am not a fan of nuts or marshmallows on my sweet potatoes, but if you are, you can add them now!

(before baking)


(completed dish)


ENJOY!

No comments: