Saturday, January 29, 2011

Chicken Sandwiches

Have you ever seen a recipe or picture of food in a magazine and think that you just have to make it? I saw a "pulled chicken" sandwich in a magazine a few months ago and really wanted to make it. Since I couldn't remember where I saw it, I had to make a stab at making my own version. This type of recipe is very versatile so try your own version as well! The first time we had this, I used Monterrey Jack cheese and the second time Sharp Cheddar Cheese. Both were good, but I preferred the Cheddar. I think it would be good with Swiss Cheese too...well (as my Dad always says) that is if you like Swiss Cheese! :-) The sour cream/ tomatillo mixture does give it a little tang or kick. If you don't like that, you can simply stir fry some onions, peppers, garlic and chicken and top with cheese- yummy!

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, cut in strips
2 cloves garlic, chopped
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp honey
1 1/2 cups tomatilla salsa (green salsa)
1/4 cup sour cream
meat from 1 rotisserie style chicken, shredded
4 sandwich rolls, split
1 cup cheese, shredded

Directions

Preheat broiler.

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and honey, then stir in salsa and heat through. Mix in the sour cream. Stir in the chicken to coat.

Pile the chicken mixture on the roll bottoms. Top with the cheese and broil to melt. Serve immediately.




ENJOY!

No comments: