Strangely enough, broccoli is one of the few green vegetables that my husband and kids will eat. So a few years ago I started adding some sort of broccoli casserole to the Thanksgiving menu just for them. I haven't really found one that I'm head over heels for yet. A lot of the recipes out there call for Velveeta cheese which I am not too much a fan of. A good number of the recipes out there call for the same ingredients- I just changed/ added a few ingredients. This one turned out pretty tasty! I may still try to come up with something "even better", but for now this will be on the list!
2 (10 oz) packages frozen chopped broccoli
3 cups rice (long grain or instant)
1 (10.75 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 1/4 cups water
1 to 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tbsp butter
1 bunch celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook broccoli and rice according to packages. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a saucepan over low heat, mix soups and water. Gradually add cheese and stir until melted.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and saute celery, onion and garlic until soft.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, rice, soup-cheese mixture and vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
5. Bake for 45 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.