Sunday, January 16, 2011

Egg less Chocolate Cake

My husband has a co-worker who is vegetarian and he asked if I had ever made an egg less cake. I have not, but thought I would take the bait. I came across this recipe for Wacky Cake that I decided to make. The cake was moist and had a nice chocolate flavor. For me- the icing was the best part! This definitely wouldn't be my first choice for a chocolate cake, but it is nice to know there is a good egg less recipe if I need one. After making it, I have found that there are a lot of versions of Wacky Cake on the Internet. I might just have to try another one or two.

The only issue I had with this is that the cocoa in the icing clumped a little and you can see small dark specs in the finished icing. The recipe does say to not let the icing boil and mine did slightly boil. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I will now be on a quest to figure this one out! Stay tuned...


Ingredients

3 cups flour
6 tbsp cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup oil
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups water

Directions
Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients until smooth and spread into a 9x13 inch prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool cake completely before icing.

ICING

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa
3 tbsp milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Directions

Melt the butter, cocoa and milk in a saucepan. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add the powdered sugar. Stir in the vanilla. Spread icing over cake.



ENJOY!

No comments: