Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mexican Cornbread

My husband loves Mexican Cornbread...the "plain" stuff just won't do for him! I have made this recipe for years. I believe that it started out with the regular cornbread recipe my Mom always used and I added from there! This is a very moist and flavorful bread that goes great with soups, stews, chili's and more!

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 small can corn, drained
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 onion,chopped
chopped jalapenos to taste

Directions
In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl beat together eggs, milk and oil. Add to flour mixture and stir just until batter is combined. Add corn, cheese, onion and jalapenos. Pour into a 9x9 inch baking dish and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

**This recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 9x13 inch dish for 30-40 minutes.
**I often use cream corn- if you want to use this, you need to decrease the milk to about 3/4 cup Leftovers also freeze well!


Enjoy!

No comments: