Thursday, February 18, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

I have never really made chicken and dumplings...yet at least! Over the past few years, I have read/ heard people rave over this Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings so I knew it needed to be on my list. Slow Cookers can be any parents dream- whether you work outside the home or not. Just throw the ingredients together in the morning and go about your business. I love it when you can start smelling the food cooking while you are doing something else.

This recipe sure did smell good while cooking too! The dish had a good flavor as well. You certainly have to give this one points for being easy too! It is also a kid friendly meal which is definitely a plus. The ingredients are simple and perhaps things that you keep on hand.

One thing that I did that wasn't mentioned in the recipe was to shred the chicken (using 2 forks) before adding the biscuits. When I make this one again, I will add some frozen veggies to the mix before I add the biscuits. Even my husband (the seldom veggie eater) mentioned that it needed some kind of veggie in there. I also would use less biscuits so that they would be more done. The ones around the edge were done, but it took quite a bit longer for the center biscuits. So I would probably use 1 to 1 1/2 packages of biscuits next time.


I also have on my list to try "traditional" chicken and dumplings. It's probably better that I tried the easy/ quick version first. I have a way of spoiling my family- once they get the real deal, there's no going back. But I will keep this one in mind for a good hearty meal with minimal preparation!




Ingredients

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tbsp butter
2 (10.75 oz) cans condensed cream of chicken soup (I used low sodium)
1 onion, chopped
2 (10 ct) packages refrigerated biscuits, cut into pieces


Directions

1. Place all ingredients, except the biscuits, in a slow cooker and fill with enough water to cover. (I used about 2 1/2 cups water to cover the chicken).
2. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on high. About 30 minutes before serving, place the cut up biscuits on top of the mixture. Cook until the dough is no longer raw.

Enjoy!

No comments: